Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Valley Remnant

For those of you who live here in the Valley of the Sun, I would like to extend an invitation to join us on Wednesday nights. We were fortunate to be in on the beginning of this unique bible study, which is non-denominational and not affiliated with any church. It is led by Gary, a friend of Randy's that he met through one of his hobbies, who is a minister but does not preach at a church. The focus is each person's relationship with God, not any church or organized religion. It was specifically started for people who have been hurt by a church, or were angry at church, but still want to have a relationship with God. It was perfect for me, I have not been to church in a long time but felt guilty that I was not going somewhere or doing something... however I no longer trust "church" because I have been stepped on too many times, and at churches of several different types.

I must admit that at first I didn't want to go, I mainly went because Randy asked me to go, and I only went when it was convenient... but last November something changed inside me and since then I have only missed once, and that was the day Randy had his surgery. Even when he was out of town, I went - I couldn't stay away. Surprised myself and him too!

Anyway I would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have but the best thing I can tell you is, come once and see what it is all about, as it's hard to explain since there is nothing else like it.

7pm every Wednesday, 3720 W. Sweetwater, Phoenix. We recently outgrew Gary's living room so it is being held at a church but is not put on by that church, they were just kind enough to offer the use of their facility to Gary.

It's awesome...

4 comments:

Debby said...

I envy you that excitement and enthusiasm. Right now, I'm at a place in my faith where all I feel is like I should keep my mouth closed. I feel fettered, and like I don't belong, and I can't understand why God would make me a talker, and expect me to sit quietly. It's not my nature, and I feel very far away from God lately.

Mrs. Mom said...

Wish we had somethng like that here. I am very spiritual, but not really religious. Being in the heart of Southern Baptist country, the idea of physically going to church makes me quiver in my boots. Literally. (Not only do I NOT do crowds, but all those Southern Baptisits?? ....)

Debby- go ride a good horse off somewhere by yourself, quietly. Bet you and God can connect then ;)

Debby said...

Mrs. Mom, I have no access to horses, but you know, I do work outside, and I walk, and I love that part of my job. It's very comforting to spend time by yourself.

kdwhorses said...

How exciting! That is great! Years ago we were burned out on our church and all the hypocrites! Since we have found the Cowboy Church it has been such a blessing! Hubby is very involved (which he was not before) and he has grown in his faith. It is a come as you are church. I know there are alot of people that feel the way you did and I did and Mrs. mom out there. That is why I think cowboy churches and the church that you are talking about are a big success. People are feeling the warmth and acceptance that you do not get in a SBC! I am glad that you all are going and loving it! What a blessing!
BTW-I agree Mrs. Mom go ride your horse and that is the best place for you and God to connect!! I have those moments all the time!