Friday, May 9, 2008

Before and After

Had to share this today, I have a link to this blog on my list but it was especially on my mind today, this latest post http://savingargus.blogspot.com/2008/05/twelve-thousand-words.html


coming on the day we brought Gus and Ruthie in, makes me long for the day I can compare before and after pictures of them!




We are already making progress... this morning I spent half an hour before work with the shedding curry pulling burrs from both of them. It's going to be a long haul, my arm was so tired!! Tonight I am going to add scissors and perhaps clippers to my armory for this battle! But I did feel a bit of accomplishment as Ruthie's tail is now COMPLETELY burr-free!!
TAIL BEFORE

TAIL AFTER


I came home from work early and spent another couple hours getting ready for the farrier and the good news is Gus is now 100% BURR FREE!!!!! Wade came with Mikey and while she did feet for Gus, he helped me get the burrs off Ruthie's front legs so that her really bad hooves could be done. We did not have time to get all the burrs so decided to leave her back feet for now, they are not very bad and with all the burrs there is no way to safely pick up her legs. I promised Ruthie that no later than Sunday I would get every one of those nasty things off her. Maybe even by tomorrow as it looks like I will have some help!!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Ok, I have to ask...what exactly is a burr? Is that matted hair? Or a sticker? Either way, it's got to be painful!

kdwhorses said...

Wow, what a difference! Mikey posted pics from yesterday on her blog as well. And I have to say kiddos to you for helping these wonderful creatures! You deserve a big pat on the back!! It is so sad that anyone would let there animals get that way! Keep up the good work!

PaintedPromise said...

Sara these are what we call cockle-burrs, they are about the size of the last joint of your finger and stickers all around, they have not broken the skin but they sure make your fingers sore pulling them out. i'll bet these two have not been able to lie down for quite a while, it must have hurt something awful to put pressure on all those stickers, or to bend legs with stickers in the joint areas...

Ruthie has a lot of non-sticker matted hair as well, Gus not so much...