Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Horse Poop Got Me Hitched!

Eight years ago this morning, I woke up in a panic. After twenty years of bad luck and trouble with men and relationships, I had vowed I would NEVER get married again... then I met Randy and he changed my mind. And I was fine with that, I trusted him and it was all good, right up through the rehearsal and dinner the night before, and I even slept good. But when I woke up the morning of May 6, 2000, all I could think was "My God, what have I done?????" I really wanted to bolt, not show up, but there was no way I could do that to such a good guy.

So I threw on some grubby clothes (no shoes) and went outside to feed the horses and clean their stalls. Amazing how a few minutes spent in the company of such wonderful creatures, tending to their needs, can get one grounded. It was as if all the negative emotions just flowed right down out of me and I scooped them up with the horse poop and threw them away. Randy shudders at the thought of me cleaning stalls in bare feet but hey, I DID take a shower before going to the church to get ready...

The wedding was wonderful and for eight years so far, so has the marriage been. And this morning, on our 8th Anniversary, I fed the horses and cleaned stalls. But this time I wore shoes.

6 comments:

Mikey said...

Lol, even on your wedding day, pens must be cleaned :)
You're a good woman!!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

What an awesome story!!
Personally, I don't mind walking around the corrals in my bare feet either. What's a little poop between the toes?

kdwhorses said...

Great story! So glad you found the right one! Actually I do it all the time! I would rather it be horse poop than other poop!?!?!?!

Mrs. Mom said...

LOL... leave it to a horse to show you the right way ;) Happy Anniversary, and heres to 50 years of happiness for you guys. :) (YOu know what i mean....lol)

Not me-- barefeet? Nope.. Nuh-uh. Way too many bugs around here for that! Cant stand the thought of it... (I am a Chicken.)

Sara said...

Congratulations on making the big "8". How time flies, huh?

Debby said...

So funny! I remember waking up on my wedding day, as terrified as you were. I wanted to run. I thought I hid it well. Tim did walk in on me at one point, and I looked at him, and said, "The dress is all wrong. I hate it." and he looked at me and walked back out. Later he said, "I could tell you were ready to run. I figured not saying anything was the best way to go." 10 years for me on May 22nd. Lots o' love in this world: I'm glad you found it too!