Saturday, May 17, 2008

New Friends

Today Sheryl and Matthew came out again to visit with the donkeys they were instrumental in rescuing... They drive from Ahwatukee which is about as far south and east in this Valley as we are north and west. Suffice it to say, it's a LONG drive... Last weekend they stayed to help me feed after working on Ruthie's burrs for hours. This weekend they helped me unload hay and stack it in the hay barn. Both times they cleaned the donkeys' pens too. Sheryl can be really proud of Matthew, he's about the nicest 14-year-old boy I've ever met. He loves animals so much, he volunteers at the zoo, so he already knows how to scoop poop and stack hay :) And Sheryl and I chatter non-stop like we've known each other for years...

After dinner I got a call from my friend Mary, also a relatively new friend, she lives a few miles down the street and I drooled over her buckskin gelding for a couple of years and kept thinking I should stop and introduce myself but since she parks in her garage I always thought she wasn't home... then I met her through the AZBCR website I've talked about several times and we've been riding together a lot for about a year now. Another gal who lives in this "town" and is on that website, Lisa, was celebrating her birthday, so we went into Surprise to meet up with her and a couple of her other friends. She signed me up for karaoke which I haven't done in more than ten years {eyes rolling here} but no one got up and left so I guess I did ok... The most awesome thing really was that smoking is not allowed indoors any more so I could actually go out to a bar and not wake up sick the next morning. Good thing since I am supposed to pick Lisa and her son up at 6:30 a.m. to go riding before it gets hot. I'm glad I got a nap in today and I'm sure that will be part of my tomorrow as well!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We were thinking how lucky we are we met you, too! Donkey Day is the highlight of my week and it is not just because of the donkeys!
You are one in a million!
Thanks!
~Sheryl