Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Sad Day

I have posted a couple of times about my daughter Lindsey and the appaloosa she is training, Junior. He got sick on Monday, they had the vet out, he was not better by morning, Lindsey spent most of Tuesday with him and his owner Billie, took them to the vet in our trailer, no diagnosis pending test results but sent them home with IV fluids as he was dehydrated, so Lindsey stayed with them and handled that. By 9pm Junior was worse so they called the vet again, he referred them to Southwest Equine Hospital in Scottsdale (the other side of this HUGE metropolitan area) and Lindsey took Billie and Junior there about 10pm. At 3am she came into my room sobbing, long story short they ruled out some things but could not pinpoint and the only choices were exploratory surgery to the tune of ten grand, which he "probably" wouldn't even survive, or euthanasia. Billie relieved him of his suffering but it's an awful choice to be forced to make.

Junior was only 4 and Lindsey felt he had a lot of potential as a reiner or cow horse. She got quite attached to him during training and this has been a horrible blow to both her and Billie. It also brought back to me how it felt to lose Justice, as the circumstances were similar and even the vet and the hospital were the same.

Anyway prayers and comforting thoughts sent our way would be greatly appreciated right now!

13 comments:

kdwhorses said...

OMG! I am so sorry for the loss. Man, that is the suckie thing about owning horses. We will be praying for Lindsey and the owners during this time. Give her hugs from East Texas!

Mrs. Mom said...

Our prayers are with all of you guys out there.... Tell Lindsey that as long as she keeps him in her heart, there will always be a part of that wonderful, talented young horse alive with her for all time.

He made an impact on her, by teaching her as she taught him. It sounds like he had quite a presence, and made a difference to a lot of people. Celebrate his memory, so that he can live on! (And YOU TOO with Justice!)

Lisascraftroom said...

awww, that is sooo sad. I would be crushed if anything happened to our girls. Prayers are with everyone during this difficult time.

I did get your e-mail. Just have to talk to Nate about it as we sponcered last time out of our pocket but, right now things are crazy around here. Long story that you will get filled in with soon. However, I do have some great pictures of the girls on my blog. There has been several posts about them trough times so feel free to look at the older posts. Just wanted to let you know so you can see their new area here!

Hugs,
Lisa

Carroll Farm said...

We will keep them in our prayers and hope that they remember the good times.

phxstv said...

That is so sad. It's never easy, but when they are so young and promising, it sure does not make it any easier. We will be praying for Lindsey, Billie, and the whole ranch that must feel the loss. They will always have a piece of him in their hearts. They must have needed him in heaven. Hugs from Ahwatukee...

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

OMG-What a desastating loss. I am so sorry for you all. It is so hard to lose one so suddenly and unexpectedly.
Please let us all know if they find out what the cause was...
Hugs and Prayers!!

Debby said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. How sad. Poor Lindsey was doubtless blindsided by this. It's always sad, but even sadder when the horse is young and you're not expecting it.

Mom said...

Lindsey -I am so sorry. He was truly beautiful. I like to picture them in a beautiful pasture, running free, with no cares or worries, waiting with a lot of others for us to cross that Rainbow Bridge someday. My heart and my prayers go out to you.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

That is so heart-breaking :-( Poor Junior, Lindsey and Billie.

Sara said...

Oh...I am soooo sorry. That's just heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. :(

BITR Country Girl said...

Hugs and Prayers from Wisconsin.

I found your blog on The Horseshoeing Housewife blog.

Momma / Cowgirl said...

I am so sorry to hear of your lose. It is always a tragic thing to have to go through to decide what is best, yet so hard to do with our beloved animals. My prayers are with you.
From a fellow Arizonian with a love for horses.
I have just begun to actually have the time to (I think I am getting addicted) reading some great blogs and would like to include yours in my blogroll if that is alright.
Thanks and happy horsin' around!

PaintedPromise said...

thanks everybody. Lindsey is hanging in there, i'm sure she will recover much more quickly than Billie who had Junior since he was a weanling... and his adoptive horse mom for that whole time too, Lucy, who is now alone.

momma/cowgirl you certainly have my permission! thanks.