Thursday, May 29, 2008

Look. And Look Again!

This past weekend a man that Randy works with, by the name of Scott, was killed while riding his motorcycle. A 17-year-old girl apparently pulled out to make a left turn right into his path, and he died right there in the road in the arms of his riding buddy.

So prayers for his family and friends are greatly appreciated.

But I have to go just one step further. You see, I have a 17-year-old daughter myself. So along with sorrow for Scott and his loved ones, I feel a tremendous amount of relief that it was not MY daughter that caused this. Because it so easily could have been... and I cannot imagine what that girl and her family are going through. She was in a hurry, or didn't pay attention, or was distracted... and she made a little mistake. But it turned into the biggest mistake one can make. And she will have to live with that for the rest of her life.

I've made mistakes myself and can only be grateful that they didn't become catastrophic like this... so I don't think that prayers for the girl and her family would be out of line.

And God, while you are at it... please help my and mine remember to take that extra second to make sure it's ok to hit that gas pedal...

5 comments:

kdwhorses said...

Oh my, how tragic! We will be praying for Scott's family during this time.
And I do not think it would be out of line to pray for the girl or her family either.
What a tragic thing to happen and the effects on 2 seperate families.
Sending prayers up from here.

Momma / Cowgirl said...

We pray for the Scott's family and friends. It is way too easy to get in a hurry and not pay attention.
It is sad to say that yesterday there was a 17 year old girl who had not paid attention when the vehicle in front of her was making a left hand turn and she plowed into that truck and pushed it into oncoming traffic. The truck then was hit by a van carrying 5 disabled young adults whom all had to be life-flighted to the hospital. We have not heard of any deaths in this accident, but these happen all to often.
My heart goes out to the Scott's and also the young girl.
take care.

Debby said...

Have you heard about Steven Curtis Chapman's family tragedy? They were having a graduation/engagement party for two of their children. One of the sons was backing out of his driveway and hit and killed the youngest girl. It made me sick when I read it. It's tragic about the little girl, but the boy must just be beside himself with grief. Everytime of read of things like this, I do pray, for those kids, for my kids, for everyone touched by it.

PaintedPromise said...

so much tragedy in this world huh? huge reminders of how very very lucky i have been...

Mikey said...

That is so sad. I see what you mean though. Prayers all the way around. I'm sure it will affect her for the rest of her life.