Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tractor Man Extraordinaire!

So last night after finally getting home with the hay trailer Lindsey and I still had to feed everybody and finish clearing out the hay barn in preparation for the dirt work... there were clouds and lightning WAY OFF EAST so decided it was not necessary to tarp the hay... by the time we got inside it was 9 p.m. and I hadn't even had dinner yet. So I ate and then PASSED OUT!

Woke up at 3:15 a.m. to the sound of raindrops on the skylight... OMG THE HAY!!!! Threw on some clothes and ran out to get the tarp on, after finding that Lindsey, whose bed was empty, had apparently fallen asleep on her friend's couch watching movies AGAIN I had to wake poor Randy to come and help me. By the time we got out there the rain had stopped but in order to get any more sleep we tarped it anyway... with the help of Lindsey who showed up because she heard the rain. I never could get back to sleep after that and the alarm went off at 5 a.m. so I could feed before the tractor guy arrived at 6 a.m...

Our neighbor Gene does dirt work for a living. He mostly works in new construction so you know how much he has been working lately... NOT! Great time for us to have him do a job for us, and help out a neighbor at the same time.

We have this great hay barn but when it rains in from the north, the water runs back in under the hay which is a real problem. My idea was to add dirt and slope the floor so that it was higher in the back and sloped down toward the front opening and then some, so that any run-off would go OUT of the barn rather than back into it.

We have this raised area in our yard that was perfect for scraping off and smoothing out, and using the dirt gained to put inside the hay barn.


All done - looking in...



And inside, looking out!

He was done so fast he even came up to the front of the raised area and smoothed down a section of that for me, piling the dirt so I can ue it on my dog pen project :)

I was a very tired but happy girl! And I DID get a nice long nap this afternoon :)

All we have to do now is lay the big plastic floor tarp down and offload the hay trailer. And it has to be done by Thursday night as the trailer is being repaired next weekend... so anybody with free time is welcome to come on over!!

2 comments:

Debby said...

Oh, I think it would be a lot of fun to come on over. I better head out now though... And tell Anita that we'll be closing the place down.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Boy, he did a nice job on that dirt work.
Bummer about the trailer. Good thing Randy is good at fixing things. There for a while, everytime I turned around I was yanking the plug-in out of my trailer, either from forgetting to plug it in or forgetting to unplug it. Tires for those style of rims are hard to find.