Sunday, August 23, 2009

Iron King Trail - Prescott

Had an AWESOME ride today on the Iron King Trail east of Prescott. First time there for me...
Saw a small herd of antelope from the parking lot but my zoom isn't that good... one of the horses spotted a deer but by the time we got the camera out it was gone, I did get to see the white butt leaving though! And a friend took this of the squirrel we saw...
Curious little guy!

Awesome rocks (I love rocks!)

This trail is the old railway bed from the Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix Railway... the tracks are gone but the trail is "double-wide" so nice for chatting :)

...and they have some of the old cars off to the side from time to time... with a warning sign!

...which Topper (left) and DD (right) chose to ignore! Those two were determined to check out this odd creature.

A couple of the other rail cars...



There were 3 of these iron bridges to cross, so going out and back we ended up crossing six times. The horses did great! It was pretty loud though... I will try to add a video that one of the girls took soon!


Trees growing right out of the rocks! I know how it happens, but it still blows my mind...

More rocks.

Our first glimpse of Watson Lake...

There were several canoes on Watson Lake. One held a father and his 7-year-old son who wanted to come see the horses... the little boy fed katie a couple of carrots and touched her nose but we couldn't convince him to get on. Even though he said he'd never ridden a horse before, he gave up his first chance. His refusal was cute though - he claimed that the canoe was enough for one day!

A Katie earcam of the lake - it was just beautiful! Right before we finished our lunch stop there was a light shower, almost couldn't feel the drops but wow it was gorgeous to see them plopping on the lake and a lovely sound as well!

Two boys just KNOW there is a lizard under this bush!!! Yup, TWO!

Look right in the middle... there he is!

Despite the green grass and several carrots of her own, Katie thinks she needs part of MY lunch (I think she saw me slip a little turkey to the dogs!)


Easy to get to and a gorgeous ride (even though the early part of the trail is a little boring lol - our trail boss even apologized for it! But of course the rocks and the lake more than made up for that...)

4 comments:

Debby said...

Oh, my gosh! When did you get your hair cut?

Mikey said...

That is a gorgeous ride! I love that. I love that you show all these good trails, I'm keeping a list in my mind of ones I need to go on. THAT is beautiful. Like the new haircut, I bet it feels good in this heat. I thought winter was coming.. what the heck happened? RAIN dangit.

Unknown said...

How beautiful! On the list of someday rides - thanks for sharing.

PaintedPromise said...

um... sorry, i forget when i got my hair cut. i wasn't that excited about it myself... a financial necessity since it was time for a perm and i can't afford it. i bartered with a friend for a horseshoe butterfly! so far everyone likes it except me, hubby and the mailman at work... oh yeah, and no comment from the kids lol... but i know they all like long better. it IS cooler!!! and as easy as it was to take care of before, it's just as easy now...

however when (i still refuse to say IF) things get better, you can bet i will be growing it back out enough to get curly!