Monday, November 17, 2008

The Stork Is On A Chocolate Kick!

Last night, just to be safe, I locked up Becky Lynn and Peggy Sue separately for the first time, as from Friday to Sunday Peggy Sue's udder had doubled in size... I really didn't think there would be a foal for another week, and was not surprised to come out in the morning and see her with a big belly still. Off to work I went, and didn't even hurry home because I had a couple of errands to run, including stopping off at my friend Mary's to pick up some feed she had picked up for me since we rode so long Sunday we didn't get to the store before it closed. Telling her about the donks, she commented "Maybe there will be a baby when you get home" and I said "No, they usually have their foals at night, and besides I think it will be next week"...

Get home and carry stuff in the house and change clothes and grab my headlamp because it is pitch black out and I have to go feed everybody. As always I run my gaze (and light lol) over the pen as I walk by... there is Clem and Ellie Mae, then Betty Jean with her foal Madeline, then Becky Lynn and Peggy Sue and - wait a minute, Madeline was back over there - swing back the light and yes she still is! Swing it back and WHAT is THAT standing by Peggy Sue????? I am grabbing for my phone and it's not in my pocket so I rush back inside and grab it and I am dialing Mary as I run out to the pen, so I can tell her SHE WAS RIGHT! Peggy Sue had her foal after I left for work, out in the big pen with everybody else, which is a first for me. Lift that tail and it's a boy, dark all over like his mama despite his daddy being spotted...

Since he was out in the big pen I can't tell if he has pooped, and I need to make sure he is nursing, and since Peggy Sue doesn't like my headlamp she has left and Betty Jean is all over him and oh my what if he bonded with someone other than his mother... you can imagine how my evening went. I was on the phone with a dozen people, including my boarder who thankfully was there that afternoon and put to rest my fears of a "stolen" baby, she said Peggy Sue was right there with him the whole time. She didn't see him nurse but wasn't watching all the time, and I hadn't seen him, so when Lindsey got home I made her sit with him while I spent a little time with Randy before his early bedtime, came back out and she hadn't seen him either, so I sat out there until I finally saw him nurse (and there was obvious baby poop in the pen by that time too) so all was well... and I finally got to go to bed!





1 comment:

Debby said...

Oh, my goodness. More pictures, more pictures. BABY DONKEYS ARE JUST ADORABLE!