Friday, November 14, 2008

Affirmation?

Yesterday I was having a hard time dealing with the fact that I had hit and killed a dog in the road with my vehicle. I got lots of support from friends and fellow bloggers and it really helped!

Arriving home I saw a small dog dead in the road in front of the neighbor's house. Last thing I wanted to do after what had just happened to me but I went to look and it had a collar. I was pretty sure it was their little girl's dog, although it was pretty hard to even tell it was a dog by then. They weren't home yet so I cleaned it up best I could so she wouldn't see it, and left mom a phone message. She called me back a bit later and confirmed, and said it was going to be a tough night around there... apparently they had arrived home and missed the dog and were out calling for it before she checked her messages. Hearing that I was SO GLAD I beat them home... bad enough for the little girl to lose her dog, without having to see it like that! And somehow it makes me feel better about "my" dog - whoever hit the neighbor's little dog did not stop and neither did a WHOLE BUNCH of other people... I am so angry AND so sad, I don't know what to do with myself... I just cannot fathom the "human" race sometimes.

3 comments:

Carroll Farm said...

SO sorry that you had to deal with it, but thank you for the clean up. I hate seeing hurt/dead animals on the road. One of the homeless guys that hangs at Wells spends his days sliding dead animals off the road so people don't keep hitting them.

I agree with you, probably saved her from starvation. Hope you will get some sleep tonight.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Oh man that is rough. It's hard to deal with hurting an animal, even though you are no way at fault.

That was very kind of you to stop and take care of that little girl's dog so she didn't have to see it.

kdwhorses said...

So sorry you had to deal with this. But a big pat on the back for cleaning it up. It irriates me beyond belief when people keep running over a poor dead animal. I too have picked up quite a few along our road.
Hugs