Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wickenburg Massacre Site

Today found me and Luna and a bunch of friends out west of Wickenburg...
Mama's itty bitty truck :)

It was a bit larger group than I usuallY take Luna with, and a longer ride, but it was the best option for taking her out this weekend, so I did it anyway. In the beginning I was wondering what I had done to myself, she was rather squirrely... so I had to pay attention and didn't get many pictures while actually riding. I did however get some when we stopped, and from some friends :)

Lovely footing though!


One of Luna's better moments ;)

Came across an old ranch house

The horses were confused by the EMPTY water tank... Playboy, to Luna's right, even licked the bottom of the metal tank!

The old barn...


The old corral



We rode along the railroad tracks - some of us hoping for a train, and some hoping for NO train (and yes, today on Luna, that would include me) - and eventually had to cross under this trestle, which said "1926" on one side...

All but one of us had to dismount to get through - one young gal on a short horse just leaned over and came right through! No way I could do that on Luna, she is at least as tall as her mama!



We had been told there was a crested saguaro out here, but that it was inaccessible so you had to use your zoom to get a good picture... could that be it? Hard to tell in the picture but this is actually a side view and the top looked just a lil funny to us...

Here we go, up the hill...

That wasn't so hard!

Yup we found it... one other gal went with me up (and of course, back down!) the hill, and she took my picture. Not sure why the claim you can't get to it - the hill was rocky but we had no trouble at all, up or down - yeah, not a good idea to tell me I can't go somewhere with my horse{grin}.

This is the view that the crested saguaro sees... that 3-tipped mountain on the left is Vulture Peak in Wickenburg


Finally, a tired girl! Perhaps my ride home will be more relaxing...


Although our fearless leader feared he had missed it somehow, one of the other second-timers on this ride kept insisting it was just ahead... and SHE was right! We DID find the massacre site...




The marker explaining the history of the site:



For more information on this historical event, click here and click here



Luna sees the trailers, we are back!!! What a great ride...

2 comments:

Ms Martyr said...

Thanks for the links to the information about the massacre site.

It looks like it was a perfect day for a ride. Glad Luna settled down.

Mikey said...

I've always wanted to go there!! I hear it's hard to find too. That crested saguaro is super cool!!! Excellent ride!