Friday, August 6, 2010

So Frustrating!

Well Cupcake's adopter has decided that she wants to bring BOTH donkeys back home... and bottom line is, it's not the right decision, so I am afraid I am going to have a fight on my hands. Mary's house is the LAST place that baby needs to be, for multiple reasons... none of the 3 people that live there are familiar with equines and with a bottle baby, it is SO important to teach them to BE A HORSE (or in this case donkey). It's not safe to let Abigail teach her... and I honestly don't think she will EVER accept ANY other animal, she does NOT want to share Mary. "But the baby is SO CUTE" - well of course she is, all babies are cute, BUT THEY GROW UP!!!!! And if you don't know how to teach her to behave, it will NOT be cute when she is walking all over you at 600-700 pounds!!!!

I can only hope that someone out there comes to their senses before the baby is so spoiled that no one can make her behave (yeah, like her mama!)

Well, that's not exactly true, her mama CAN be made to behave, I've already made progress wit her while she has been here, but geez it's a lot of work and no fun!!! And you have to constantly be on your guard that you don't get run over, knocked over, stepped on, kicked or bitten...

After all the time and money spent over the past couple weeks on this baby, by my whole family and several other friends who offered to help, this is incredibly disappointing. I am almost tempted to wash my hands of the whole thing and just drop them off, but for Cupcake's sake I am still hoping I can get Mary to do what is best for the foal, which is NOT taking her there. {sigh} Perhaps the draft of the "agreement" I will insist on will cause her to see the light... a LONG list of expenses out of pocket to be reimbursed, and an even longer list of instructions for how to properly raise a baby... AND how to train mama. Yeah I've said it before but it was ignored, or even just forgotten - whatever the reason, it wasn't done. Maybe in writing...

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Perhaps you should wash your hands of it, but tell Mary that if you have to take them back into your care it will be on your terms, meaning that they stay with you until baby is weaned, with no interference from them. Baby can safely be weaned any time after 3 months, as long as she is grazing well and drinking water. If they want their dose of cuteness they can make the drive everyday to visit them.
I hear your frustration.

Tish said...

Can you overwhelm her with "instructions" on taking care of such a young & vunerable little baby donkey. Written of course & in great detail?