Well the news on Melody is not so good.
A good look at her teeth and doc put her age at 23+... he also said that first letter in the tattoo is a Q which is 1987 which is right on.
She has a problem with urine pooling so the infections will be CHRONIC. That may PARTIALLY resolve with putting some weight on but will NOT go away. There is surgery BUT even if she was only 7, doc said he wouldn't recommend it, it usually does NOT work.
She has arthritis in all four legs and will NOT be ridable even if we do get her back into shape. Right now there does not seem to be any pain but she is several hundred pounds underweight and if we put that weight back on, it very well may cause her problems in her legs.
She needs a dental badly but would have to put on AT LEAST 100 pounds before she could safely have the anesthetic. And there is cupping in two places (the gum drawn away from the teeth) and she is holding food there.
She has a lot of sand in her belly.
She has evidence of probable cactus in her lips.
Some of the problems would be fairly minor but some of them, even if they were the only problem, would be a serious issue... but combine them all and we have a mare that will be a constant challenge to keep healthy. At her age the consensus of the vet and Soleil (Arizona Equine Rescue Organization) who has MAJOR experience with horses exactly like this is that the kindest thing for her it to transition her gently... I've been afraid of that since I first saw her, it's NOT my horse and it's NOT a decision I really want to make but there are so many, many horses out there with "easier" issues for people who want pasture pets... and what happens to Melody if someone takes her and then cannot continue in 6 months? The last thing I want to happen is to have her back in this condition again.
Soleil did say that it would not be a bad thing to let her eat and get loved on for a few days, so that the last thing to happen to her was not being dumped. I am good with that as well and there is plenty of donated feed to see her through another week or so while we figure out the best arrangement for handling her euthanasia. So if anyone wants a chance to come visit and love on this sweet mare you will need to make that arrangement soon!
PLEASE if you have donated money or feed and you are not happy about this decision let me know and I will arrange to return or reimburse your donation. My plan for anything not used directly for Melody, whether money or feed, will be to donate it to AERO so that it will still go to help a horse in need.
For the people who were interested in trying to rehab Melody, and would be happy with a pasture pet that cannot be ridden, PLEASE contact Soleil - she knows of many horses that have problems much less serious than Melody's - horses that look gorgeous, don't have multiple medical problems, and may even have lameness conditions that don't really require much if any treatment - just that they can't be ridden.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news and even sorrier that some jerk didn't have the decency to do the right thing by this mare instead of forcing someone else to have to take responsibility.
But the most important thing is what is best for Melody in the long run and letting her go peacefully is just that.
I will keep you posted as arrangements develop.