Wednesday, March 10, 2010

26+ Years of Waiting is Over!

I remember it well... It was December 1983, Andria had just turned a year old in October and it would be her first "real" Christmas (since she was only 2 months old for her first one and slept through most of it!) I was Christmas shopping at the Gemco at 43rd and Thunderbird (any Phoenix old-timers remember that?) while Andria was home with dad and I ran into a woman with a tiny, tiny Yorkie puppy. I ooohed and awwwwwed and she said her husband and children had just gotten it for her for Christmas... and a dream was born. Someday, I vowed, I would have a tiny Yorkie of my own! It would be a girl and yes, I picked out a name too...

Remember last summer when my friend Sydney asked me to be "partners" with her on a Yorkie? I had gotten all excited and told her my story, only to find out it was a MALE Yorkie she was talking about... Oh well. Riley was adorable too and the way my "pack" was going it seems I am destined to have mostly boy dogs anyway... and really I don't mind, I do LOVE Tank, and Zacchaeus,

and Sherman,

and Rocket,

and Ty...

And of course Riley, who looks so pitiful because he's just been told he's going to have a BATH!


Tonight we went to pick Sydney up for bible study and I got there early, as requested, because she wanted me to look at something for her... she is disabled so we try to help out when we can. I walked in the door and she handed me a puppy and said "here's the dog you have been waiting for for 26 years". I was flabbergasted... I was in shock... and Sydney had a HUGE grin on her face. Now quite honestly I need another dog like I need a hole in the head... we still have 2 out of 4 chihuahua pups not sold, AND one came back from last year's litter... but she was so proud to be able to do this for me, and the puppy - OMG unbelievably adorable - well how could I say no?

Meet Esmerelda:

She's quite fierce, playing tug with my sock while I'm typing...

OUCH that's my TOE in there little girl!!!

Playing outside with Vada and Ty...

Then I called her to get a cute face pictures and ZOOM she runs to me so fast (Ty too - think there's a bit of jealousy there???) it's SO HARD to get good pictures of her...




Sydney had bred her "stud" to a friend's female several times, and got pick of the litter instead of a cash stud fee... and finally found a pup she liked out of the third litter. She is hoping that if the little female gets just a tad bit bigger than Riley, we can eventually breed the two of them. I'm telling you now, though, that my plan would definitely include sending her to Sydney for whelping! After the chihuahua births we had in November, I'm not sure I could handle Yorkies! Personally I am liking the donkey foals, they are a lot easier on me!

No comments: