Friday, September 18, 2009

Our Newest Rescue...

Ok sorry no pictures but it's kinda hard... they are GOLDFISH! Let me back up a little... a week or so ago I got a call from Kara down the street that her neighbor was losing his house and had 2 horses to place... she was asking for help getting the word out because of computer problems so I passed the word. Then this morning headed up to Wickenburg with Pat and Mary for a Box Canyon F-ride-day and got a call from another guy who lives out this way about the same horses... except HE told me that one of them was RUBY! (Ruby was my mom's horse, we had given her to his son a couple years ago.) Apparently the son had given her away instead of back to us as promised... and she hasn't been fed and has some skin issue going on and if no one took her she was going to auction...

Well I immediately called everybody concerned and told them no, she comes back here... since my trailer had a flat Josh (CarrollFarm) offered to bring her over so she comes back tomorrow. In the meantime Kara called again to ask did we still have goldfish in our stock tanks, of course we do... apparently this guy had dug a pond in the ground as his horse water, stocked it with goldfish to keep it clean and eat the mosquitos... and was planning to cover it with dirt and bury the fish! Kind-hearted Kara couldn't stomach the thought and neither could I, so with buckets and a skimmer over I went... and yes we drained the pond and caught all the goldfish - about 18-20 in all. Kara's 2 adorable little ones and hubby helped, and the kids ended up taking home a fish each :) The rest are now safe in my stock tanks!

This of course meant I got to take a look at Ruby too. For almost 30 she is not as bad as I thought, if she was 6 it would be horrid but at her age and with her bad teeth (she is a terrible cribber) she really doesn't look too bad... but we will be free-feeding her for a while to get some meat back on those old bones.

No comments: